Old 18-05-2016, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default the morel of the story

Yes, we cut down six or seven trees every winter for firewood, so I save a few logs for the mushroom garden. I read that you should let them settle out for 30 days after cutting before putting in the plugs so that the natural fungicides in the wood are depleted.

sound good.

about the only thing different that strikes me in what you
write is that you say you keep them in the basement, while
most people have them outdoors (some mention putting them
halfway in the dirt so the fungi can draw moisture and
nutrients from the soil). i hope that won't make much of a
difference for the fungi you are trying to grow.

as for how long the colony lasts some references have said
depending upon type of wood, size of log and mushroom three to
ten years.

I keep them in the basement so that they'll grow during the winter. I water them every morning so they stay moist. I've had good luck with this method; a couple of shiitake logs produced mushrooms for several years.

Paul