Old 20-05-2016, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default holes as pots

On 5/20/2016 11:20 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

My back yard is very hard soil. I am expanding my litter garden
into it this year. So my idea was to dig holes and use the
holes like you would pots, without the blowing over, expense,
etc..

So yesterday, I started digging my first 10 holes. Oh my goodness.
I had to use an axe to loosen up the hard pack! Two on the
holes I had to give up on do to rocks the size of water melons.
Each hole was about 12" deep. I tossed a weed, root side up,
down each hole, then filled back with dirt and organic Canadian
peat moss. Peat moss to acidify and to hold moisture. My
soil is very alkali.

Interesting. When I went to put the dirt back, it only filled
about 1/3 of the hole. This is fine as I wanted mostly peat
moss anyway. But interesting none the less.

Many thanks,
-T

Yes, there were sparks.

10 more holes to go!

Day before yesterday, I planted my two new Ponderosa Pines.
So far they seem happy with their new homes. Got the ones with
a dirt plug attached.

yes, I am rambling.

Don't worry, all gardeners ramble to themselves. It's when you ramble in
front of other folks that you get the strange looks. I've been known to
tell some nosy Parker that I was praying for them. Then they look
embarrassed.