Old 21-05-2016, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default collecting melon seeds question

On 05/20/2016 04:34 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 5/20/2016 4:07 PM, T wrote:
On 05/20/2016 01:19 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 5/20/2016 11:11 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I came across a store bought honey dew / cantaloupe cross that
was quite tasty. How would I process the seeds if I want
to try growing one or two? They are sitting inside the melon
in water and not sprouting, so I was wondering?

Wonder if the seeds would give me the same melon too.

Many thanks,
-T

Interesting. The store called it a "orange meat melon".
I am wondering is Honeylope or Canadew would be a better
name. On second thought, that second candidate might be
considered rude in some circles. :-D
You could always try it, it might come out something terrible or
something good.

I've done a few of those things and mostly they come out as something
terrible. What the heck, go for it.

Do I dry them out or something first?

We always put them between two paper towels and let them dry. Once you
plant them you will need to water them frequently too.

Nowadays we just eat seedless watermelon and generally toast and eat the
cantaloupe seeds while watching mindless television shows.

Thank you!