Old 21-05-2016, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default holes as pots

T wrote:
I mean, an axe! I just wanted to dig some holes!

when it gets too dry here and i have to dig in the
areas with clay that i haven't amended yet, i can jump
up in the air and come down on the shovel and barely
make a dent in the soil.

in the areas i've worked in leaves, wood chips,
ashes and have planted things like winter rye it
works much better.

have you tried planting winter rye in the early fall?
(the grain, not the grass seed)

Oh but the weeds no long laugh at me now that they are going down
the holes. Now which one of you is the biggest!

exactly! free stuff from mother nature, harvested
sun energy, minerals, nutrients, all worm food and
more plant food.

I do love the way this peat moss feels in my hands. Goodness
I have tried almost everything else, including organic compost.

keep scrounging all the organic materials you can.
makes things much easier in time, concentrate them
to help keep them moist (for an arid climate).

i had some friends drop off wood that is rotting that
they can't burn. i don't use it in gardens, but along
edges to help smother things (put down a few layers of
cardboard and then hold the cardboard down with the wood
chunks). eventually the raccoons and other critters will
break all that down. any humus is good humus.

songbird