Old 22-05-2016, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Mulching downsides

Terry Coombs wrote:

I started year-before-last to use a straw mulch to help control weeds and
add some organic matter to our soil here . This in addition to going
pesticide-free because of our bees has caused a population explosion in the
insect life , particularly worms and grubs . That increased population has
attracted the critters that eat them ... particularly 'possums and 'coons .
And they are raising hell out in the garden . Not a morning goes by that I
don't have to put one or more plants back in the ground , mostly the peppers
.

often that is because the starter mix or fertilizers
used smell like fish or goodies that they like to eat.

the raccoons used to do that to the onion plants we
put in that were grown as plugs in trays. so we stopped
planting them outside the fenced areas and that has
kept them from bothering them again.

I bought an electric fence setup mostly for deer (which aren't usually a
problem this early on) , but it looks like I need to get it installed and
run one wire about 5"-6" from the ground to try to keep the small critters
out . Has this worked for any of y'all or am I wasting my time trying ? The
alternative is either live traps or bullets ... the problem is that there's
basically an endless supply of critters when you live in a clearing out in
the woods , and I can't trap or kill them all .

yep. we trap and move raccoons, possumes and groundhogs
but there is an endless supply that will keep coming in.
if i don't trap i use the air-rifle to deter them if i can
see them (groundhogs). had one run very fast yesterday
to get away. usually that can keep them away somewhat
where i can be sure to get something of a harvest. last
year i trapped and moved a whole family and knew there was
one left we didn't get. they do like sunflower seeds (
raccoons do too).

i wish i had the stomach to kill/clean these critters
as then at least we'd be getting something useful from
them for the efforts. but as of yet i'm not that hungry
or desperate. i guess it is good to know that i could
probably easily live off the land here if i have to.

songbird