Old 24-05-2016, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default collecting melon seeds question

On 5/23/2016 9:22 PM, T wrote:
On 05/23/2016 07:56 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Fri, 20 May 2016 09:11:43 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

I came across a store bought honey dew / cantaloupe cross that
was quite tasty. How would I process the seeds if I want
to try growing one or two? They are sitting inside the melon
in water and not sprouting, so I was wondering?

Wonder if the seeds would give me the same melon too.

Many thanks,
-T

Interesting. The store called it a "orange meat melon".
I am wondering is Honeylope or Canadew would be a better
name. On second thought, that second candidate might be
considered rude in some circles. :-D

Although I have no experience with any melon crosses, I do know the
seeds from the typical cantaloupes we get here in NJ (NOT muskmelons),
germinate rather easily. I know this because when I took the top off
the compost bin yesterday, the top layer was covered in cantaloupe
seedlings.

That said, any fruiting that occurs will be one big crap shoot. Still,
if you have the space, garden experiments are always fun.

I will get another one from the store this week and and give it a try!

Two years ago we pot holed the carcass of a large cantaloupe in one of
our fence line beds. A month later it was covered with vines and we
harvested three cantaloupes. Somewhat smaller than the original but,
IMHO, much tastier than the original. Alas, the seeds from those were
planted but did not grow, might have been the heat that year.

That crap shoot paid off but many don't. I'm looking for some beef
seeds. G