Old 25-05-2016, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default OT - tadpoles

In article ,
says...

I haven't seen tadpoles around here (in various ponds and other bits of
water) where I would expect to see them.

Saw some the other day in a nature reserve.

Just wondering if there is a shortage generally, or just where I have
happened to look.

We had an average amount of frogspawn and tadpoles, a week or two later
than usual. Hundreds of tadpoles were eagerly hunted and consumed by the
pond goldfish (as usual).

However, every year tiny baby frogs appear round the pond, despite the
disappearing tadpoles and hungry goldfish.

I hate to think how many baby goldfish are cannibalised by their sex-mad
and very fertile parents aunts and uncles, but every year I round up
dozens of little survivors for rehoming... and right now we STILL have
a couple of dozen of last year's babies in the pond.

Janet (Isle of Arran)