Old 27-05-2016, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Unusual cotyledon behaviour

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
On 27/05/2016 08:55, Jeff Layman wrote:
Maybe a little OT, but has anyone seen seedling behaviour like this:
http://tinypic.com/r/wt8w7a/9

These are seedlings of Plum Mango (Bouea macrophylla), grown from seeds
obtained from fruit bought at that well-known purveyor of exotic seeds,
Marks & Spencer. What is strange to me is that the leaves hang down
vertically. I have never seen this before with any seedling.

The youngest one, extreme right, germinated a week ago, and when it
first appeared I am pretty sure the leaves were almost horizontal, but
within a few hours had dropped to the position shown. The oldest
seedling (about a month old) now has green, rather than brownish leaves,
but these still show no sign of moving to a horizontal position. I would
have though that a horizontal leaf position would be sought by all
seedlings as that is the most efficient fr photosynthesis.

would it be an adaption to heavy rain fall? Also I seem to remember that
the leaves on the adult trees hang down, but I could be wrong as its a
while since I saw one!

Also remember that, in the tropics, sunlight is not in short supply
and the noonday sun is fierce. That might be a protection against
burning, while catching the morning and evening sun. But I agree
that it's odd, and that Charlie has the most likely explanation.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.