Old 27-05-2016, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mulching downsides

On 5/25/2016 9:21 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
On 5/22/2016 9:51 AM, songbird wrote:
Ecnerwal wrote:
Gardening in or near the woods, you'll likely need a more
substantial fence than a single hot wire 6" off the ground, though
some electrification certainly helps - but coons are not stupid, so
you have to try and be smarter than they are; and you might as well
get the thing up on a permanent basis; you'll need it, the critters
are out there.

we don't have an electric fence on the main garden
area where most of the veggies are planted but it is
tall enough to keep the deer out. this seems to deter
the raccoons enough too (as long as they can't smell
anything edible in there).

what they don't know is that i bury about 150,000
worms in there each spring when i plant. they have
never got in them at all (i hope they can't read ).

songbird

Raccoons are tasty critters if you get all the glands out before
cooking plus the skins make nice gloves, caps, etc. My extended
family always had a mess of coon dogs and we went nearly every
weekend in the winter, at night, to run coons. Was one way to keep
them from decimating the corn crop and other crops and was a lot of
fun for a batch of young boys.
When we were young marrieds I planted two acres of corn. Raccoons got
most of it by hitting every night. I tried the electric fence and it
worked for a bit. Found the best way was to put the hound out there
on a long rope and he could keep them down to a minimum.

All of that may be the reason I don't care much for corn on the cob
anymore. G

It appears I have won an at least temporary reprieve from critters rooting
up my garden . Took a couple of potshots at a 'possum the other night (it
was trying to get into the garbage can) and while I'm not sure I hit it , it
hasn't been back since . I know for sure the 'coon I trapped night before
last won't be coming back ,she ended up on my neighbor's dinner table . I
re-set the trap last night , nothing , again tonight and we'll see .
--
Snag

You will have to stay at it Snag, I think raccoon's are telepathic as
they seem to bring all their relatives to the feast.