Old 29-05-2016, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Monkey tree

On 5/29/2016 7:23 AM, Joey wrote:
Have around a 15ft monkey tree at side of house. Looking at it now the
branches are brown but tips of branches are green. Don't understand why
this has happened as haven't done anything to disrupt roots. Noticed
great hard lumps of sap out of the trunk really worried and don't know
how to treat the tree? It used to look really green and healthy but now
it's brown and I'm concerned why it's changed. Any advice on what to do?
I'm not an expert on gardening and don't know what to do, came across
this web site in the hope of getting some advice. Would like to send a
photo of tree but still getting the hang of this web site. Kind
regards.

No expert on monkey-puzzle trees since they won't grow in my climate but
'great hard lumps of sap' suggest that there are wounds in the trunk and
that suggests insect damage to me (unless you have a neighbour attacking
your tree with an ice pick under cover of darkness). If you are truly
concerned about the tree's survival and place some value on it then a visit
from a real live arborist might be in order.