Old 01-06-2016, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_8_] Stephen[_8_] is offline

Default lawnmower advice

On Wed, 4 May 2016 23:00:36 +0000 (UTC), Lobster
wrote:

OK, you asked! Here's a bird's eye view of a hypothetical rectangular
lawn which takes 6 swathes with the electric mower to cut, as indicated
by the dashed rows. The mains socket or source of power is at the top
left of the diagram.

Start mowing by the socket (*) and head down the first swathe dragging
the cable behind you. At the end of the swathe, turn the mower
anticlockwise by 180 degrees, and return up the lawn down the second
swathe. You will be pushing the mower parallel to the cable which
you've left lying down swathe 1, and which you're now also dragging
directly behind you up swathe 2.

When you get to the top of swathe 2, you then turn CLOCKWISE by 180
degrees, and set off down swathe 3, etc etc.

The key to not tangling with the cable is always to cut *away* from the
plug socket, and always to turn the mower in the correct direction!

Mains
Socket
[X]
__________________________________
| (*)| | | | | |
| |
| | | | | | |
| |
| | | | | | |
| |
| | | | | | |
| |
| | | | | | |
| |
| | | | | | |
| |
| | | | | | |
| |
| | | | | | |
| |
| | | | | | |
| |
| | | | | | |
| |
| | | | | | |
| |
| | | | | | |
| |
| | | | | | |
| |
| | | | | | |
| |
| | | | | | |
|__________________________________|

Sorry for the late reply but I wanted everyone to know I had read
their replies. Thanks.

I managed to fix the switch, the plastic innards of the dead man's
handle had fallen out of alignment, so I am back mowing for now.

I will look to replace it in the near future. I was thinking of a
Honda petrol mower but I notice that the cheaper models have a steel
deck that reviewers say rusts. I have been encouraged by the posts
here about Lithium powered mowers, so I will look into those when the
time comes.

At previous houses, I have not had the problem with the cable. I think
the problem is the position of the socket. In the diagram above, the
socket is in a corner. That's the best position for it but here my
socket is in the middle (of the edge). I guess the only way would be
for me to cut from the middle of the lawn out.

Thanks again,
Stephen.