Old 04-06-2016, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Picking the garden

On 05/30/2016 04:39 PM, George Shirley wrote:
Picked a small bucket of sweet chilies, eggplant, kale, two or three
sorts of lettuce and one lone cucumber. Had a good bit of the pickings
in our dinner salad this evening.

Black crowders are making like crazy and the vines have climbed the
trellis and I'm now working them in and out. Tomatoes are a bit slow in
ripening but that is expected with all the rain and overcast we've been
getting.

Figs are getting larger every day and it looks, I hope, to be a good
harvest. The pears are about the size of a quarter and looking good.
This will be our first pear harvest on that tree if they make it. The
coloring now is a russet and we hope they are tasty. Supposedly good for
eating out of hand and canning both. Tree looks really healthy but I'm
doing my best to keep pruning off the "rain" limbs so the tree stays
open to sunlight.

The blueberries aren't doing well at all, will have to do some research
to see why they aren't. The "wild" tomatoes that came up this spring are
putting on fruit and, today, we ate the first "Indigo" tomato we planted
earlier.

George

My stuff is just starting to sprout (from seeds I potted two weeks ago).
We are not suppose to transfer to our gardens till the second week
of June, do to freezes overnight.

But, I did notice I will have some purslane to pick this weekend. :-)

And I dumped two gallons of high test vinegar (20%) on the weeds, so
the tide has turned on them! The ones I sprayed look really pathetic.
Chuckle. The dandelions will be the last and hardest to kill. I
hope I don't have to dig every last on up with my axe!

Be careful posting this stuff. Folks may show up for dinner! :-)

Definition of a small town: when you visit your neighbors, you
have to lock your car doors, otherwise you will wind up with
a back seat full of zucchini.

My neighbors have no fear from me, black thumb and all. I hope
to turn the tide this year with my holes as pots, peat moss,
and weeds at the bottom of the holes. You know, there is a
certain enjoyment stuffing weeds down holes.

-T

I wish I had 1/20 of your and Songbirds gardening skills.