Old 06-06-2016, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
thescullster thescullster is offline

Default Ivy on Silver Birch

Hi all

It must be the time of year - 2 posts on the same day!

We have a pretty mature silver birch in the corner of our garden.
Until yesterday it was covered in ivy to two thirds of its height.

The questions a

Does an ivy cover actually damage the tree? I noticed that some hidden
areas were damp and housing wood lice due to the cover. Maybe the
tendrils of the ivy suck nutrients from the host tree?

Also, I have a bird box on the side of the tree which had become
engulfed in ivy. Would this make the birds more wary, as there would be
perches for predators maybe?

Thanks

Phil