Old 11-06-2016, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BobHobden BobHobden is offline

Default Poorly Phal

"Spider" wrote

BobHobden wrote:
"Roger Tonkin" wrote

An update on my phal

Having amputated the rotting leaves, after a bit of a sulk it
has now put on a spurt of growth, with a new flower branch on
the old stem, and intriguingly some change to the couple of
aerial roots. These seem to have made a "pinch" at the end then
started to turn green above. Not sure what is happening, but
will watch with interest.

All photo's at http://tinyurl.com/zkfdl57

Healthy roots should look like that with a greenish bit at the end, it
means they are growing.

But, surely, that reddish tinge is a sign of stress? Usually drought
stress, in my experience. The root tip should be green.

Reddish tinge on Phals is normally down to too much light but not anything
to get too concerned about. They take a lot more light than growers expect
in the UK as our sun is so weak compared to where they grow naturally in
this world.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.