Old 11-06-2016, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Liquid Slug killer?

On 11/06/16 08:21, Charlie Pridham wrote:
On 10/06/2016 19:33, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/06/16 17:09, Phil L wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/06/16 08:50, Charlie Pridham wrote:
Anyone know if there is a reason for this being hard to get hold of
at present? I only use a small amount, a bottle usually last 5 years
or so so its been a while since I bought any.

If you mean Bayer Provado Ultimate Bug Killer Concentrate 400ml I got
some only a few weeks ago, although I had to go to a few different
garden centres and shops before I found any.

Given that the B is so far away from the L on a qwerty, I think he meant
'liquid slug killer'.

I'm assuming almost all bug killer is liquid

I hadn't considered that! I had a look through the approved pesticides
list for metaldehyde at
https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/garden/prodsearch.asp, but the only
liquid product is Scott's Slug Clear Liquid Concentrate. All the others
are pellets or bait. There is some on Amazon at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clear-Liqui.../dp/B003P8TLSQ
but it's not exactly cheap!

I have now heard that the active ingredient (which I am not going to
attempt to spell!) has not had its licence renewed in Europe. It was
Murphy's/Scotts "Slug Clear" I was asking after.

I know methiocarb went a couple of years ago, but I didn't know
metaldehyde was on the way out. Are you sure about that?

I don't use them but I assume the standard blue pellets will quickly
follow suit.

Seems to me everything for the amateur is getting banned unless it's
"green".

Any views on nematodes?

External is preferable to internal... :-)

I've never used them. They have always seemed very expensive and a bit
too temperature dependent. Maybe others have had success.

I will use Aluminium sulphate solution for the spraying vertical surfaces

So you're Banksy! All unapproved pesticidal uses for chemicals are
frowned upon, of course, so you can't be using alum for that, can you?...

--

Jeff