Old 11-06-2016, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Ivy on Silver Birch

In article ,
says...

Ian Jackson wrote:

A 60 foot ash tree (just outside the end of my back garden) was suddenly
killed by ivy.

One spring, it had just started to come into leaf, when I noticed they
were withering. I found that the ivy which had been growing up it had
got under the bark (a few feet off the ground), and lifted it -
effectively ring-barking it.

I have never ring barked a tree, but if I did shouldn't I expect it to
sprout vigorously from the base as if coppiced? If you cut down an ash
and leave the stump, it will definitely do that.

You can't compare the two.

Some trees coppice readily (willow, ash, chestnut). Birch doesn't.

Years ago I bought some land with a wood of around 100 birch trees; it
had previously been grazed by half a dozen hungry ponies who had
recently ringbarked some of the younger birch trees,and those trees
died.

This does not convince
me the ivy was at fault.

Me neither. I think it far likelier the old birch bark had
lifted/loosened for some other reason (disease or insect attack) and
the ivy got underneath and forced it off. Birch are relatively
shortlived trees (unlike ash).

Janet