Old 11-06-2016, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ivy on Silver Birch

In article ,
Spider wrote:

As to ivy killing trees, it tends only to happen when the mature ivy
(with larger leaves) is growing in the crown of the tree. In wet and
windy weather, the extra windage on the large leaves is enough to cause
the tree to topple, especially when coupled with saturated soil.

It does that only when the tree is growing very slowly - no way
can ivy keep up with a healthy silver birch! I believe that it
can grow completely round a tree and strangle it, but I have never
seen that - it's extremely rare if it happens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.