Old 11-06-2016, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default High school reunion

We drove over to Orangefield, Texas this morning and back this
afternoon. The High School has an annual reunion for all years on the
second Saturday in June each year and today was the day.

The organizers order up the smoked brisket and the rest of us bring a a
dish or two. Lots of good home made grub and a lot of it from home
gardens. We took lemon chess pie and a big tray of freshly picked,
peeled, and sliced sweet chilies and cucumbers. None came home with us
for some reason.

In my class there were two, my best friend, a girl, from high school
days and, no, we never dated, just have been lifelong friends and she
befriended my wife the day they met in 1961. Neither of us have any idea
where the other 30 graduates in our class went. We know several didn't
come home from Vietnam alive but the rest have just moved elsewhere over
the years.

The eldest graduate was from the class of 1939, my birth year. Figure it
out, I will be 77 in September and this guy graduated before I was born.
He had to be at least 17 when he graduated, I don't know if I want to
live to be 97.

Met some "kids" from the few years behind me, mostly women or, should I
say, widows mostly and we had a nice chat. Something like, "How was your
life, how many grands and great grands do you have." One gal trumped us,
she has twelve great grands but she also had more than two children. She
won. G

We drove over in a long two hour drive with thunderstorms dropping rain
on us. Came home with sunshine and, as soon as we turned into our
subdivision, the bottom fell out for about ten minutes. At least the
gardens go watered well and we had a good time.

George