Old 14-06-2016, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.birds,alt.birdwatching.hummingbirds

Default Protecting Hummingbird Chicks

On 6/13/2016 7:43 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Got 2 of the little nuggets poking their heads out of a next. I
notice a wandering housecat under the tree today. I'm trying to
watch and keep running it off as much as I can.

Question.... the nest is on a thin branch that won't hold the cat's
weight and is out of it's reach. If they fly off, all is good. But
I don't know anything about hummingbirds.... Anything I can do to
keep the cat away in case the land on the ground? I thought about
red pepper, but that might not be good for the birds.

Any advice appreciated. Will upload a photo of the birds in the nest
to tinypic later tonight.

Do not worry about the hummingbird chicks. Hummingbird parents can be
extremely viscious in defending their nests and young. I have seen
hummingbirds attack ravens that merely happened to be near the nest but
were not bothering it.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

When a Moslem shoots up a nightclub in Florida
or a party in California, it is terrorism. When a
Christian shoots up a movie theater in Colorado or
a church in South Carolina, however, it is not
called terrorism. Why is this so?