Old 14-06-2016, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default wind blew down some of my garlic

On 6/13/2016 9:03 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

We had a big wind some through a few weeks ago and blew
down several of my garlic plants. I just left them alone,
but the tops just went brown. (Had I know, I would have
picked the tops, they are yummy.)

Will the ever grow back or should I just dig them up?

they will form a smaller bulb with whatever energy
is left that they can redirect from the green stuff.

i picked some garlic a few weeks ago and left it
to dry out in the sun. today i was in that garden
and the stalks were laying there so i picked them up
and pulled them apart and there was a small bulb at
the bottom in there that would regrow if given a
chance.

likely if you dig up those plants there will be a
small bulb under there, with one or more cloves... it
will come back.

songbird

We grow more onion and garlic chives than the original plants. Harvested
a very large garlic a week or so ago, one of the giant ones. The stems
were delicious, the bulb was very mild and somewhat sweet.

We generally are happy when new stuff comes out tasty.

George, the dawg is hounding me so it must be time to go to bed