Old 14-06-2016, 12:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Picking the garden

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 21:28:14 -0500, George Shirley
wrote:

On 6/13/2016 9:15 PM, T wrote:
On 06/13/2016 06:33 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 6/13/2016 7:53 PM, T wrote:
On 06/11/2016 04:19 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
You cut the top of a dandelion (the only one I will not chop at
with my axe) and they will grow back and back and back. Them
I pickle.

Death to weeds, except purslane, which is yummy!

keep finding other plants to try instead, from
bulk seed, radish, daikon radish, the leaves/sprouts
are good at first too.

songbird

Is there a good tasting radish? The ones I get from the
store have zero taste and are only hot.
Look online for heirloom radishes. That's how we got our sweet radishes,
just like the ones we grew fifty years ago. Some how hot radishes became
the standard but we never liked those anyway.

Which ones do you like?
http://www.rareseeds.com/search/?F_Keyword=radish

We've grown Long Scarlet and China Rose with good results. A lot of the
hotness of radishes can be caused by letting them get to big. I prefer
them when young and sweet.

Yup. We pick them quite small - little delightful flavor bursts with a
hint of salt sprinkled on or sliced onto buttered bread.