Old 14-06-2016, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.birds,alt.birdwatching.hummingbirds
Frank Miles Frank Miles is offline

Default Protecting Hummingbird Chicks

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 19:43:17 -0700, Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney wrote:

Got 2 of the little nuggets poking their heads out of a next. I notice a wandering housecat under the tree today. I'm trying to watch and keep running it off as much as I can.

Question.... the nest is on a thin branch that won't hold the cat's weight and is out of it's reach. If they fly off, all is good. But I don't know anything about hummingbirds.... Anything I can do to keep the cat away in case the land on the ground? I thought about red pepper, but that might not be good for the birds.

Any advice appreciated. Will upload a photo of the birds in the nest to tinypic later tonight.

Do you know who owns the cat? Maybe if you explained what was happening?

Cats are one of the dominant killers of birds in this country - you're right to be concerned.