Old 17-06-2016, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default First chomping

Cooked our first mess of black crowder peas this afternoon. They weren't
as big as the ones my Dad used to grow but they were still pretty tasty.
The liquid from the cooked peas is sort of a dark brown and has the same
taste. To make it right I added some Crystal hot sauce to my serving and
the memories were there.

Wife picked another small bucket today of just ripened peas so I will be
watching TV and shucking those rascals soon. Will put them with the
other two cups of shucked peas I am holding in a sealed container in the
refrigerator and make a big mess of peas for some of the grands to try.
Probably over southern cornbread, ie. cornbread made only with cornmeal,
buttermilk, and spices, baked in a 450F oven for 20 minutes in an oiled
12 inch cast iron skillet. Probably add some chopped onions fresh from
the garden in with the peas and a little garlic to boot. I have to stop
here as I'm drooling on the keyboard. G

George