Old 19-06-2016, 01:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default getting out early in the day

George Shirley wrote:
On 6/18/2016 2:47 PM, songbird wrote:
to get heavy stuff done, then come in for
siesta and putter around the rest of the day.

That's nice, I just got up from my siesta. The repeating thermometer
tells me it is 95F on the back porch with the shade curtains down. I
wonder how hot it is in full sunshine?

it's going to be like that again today here.
hot and humid. gotta get going soon. then in
for siesta.

Picked crowder peas again today and will tomorrow, they seem to ripen
overnight. I'm keeping them in a container in the fridge to see if I can
get enough to can some. Maybe I should buy a very small pressure canner?

i like fresh peas too much to kill them by
canning them in any form. frozen is much
better.

i did get some weeding done yesterday in the
north garden. the lowest spot has always had
plantains (rabbits and wormies love 'em) so
each year i have to get some out of there, but
the creeping jenny is gradually filling in.
this round of weeding took only a few hours
while the first round a month ago took me several
sessions to finish. so that is progress. and
the creeping jenny is blooming so that looks
nice too with the yellow flowers.

We seldom have weeds in the raised beds except when the birds sitting on
the power line overhead decide to give us some seeds the old fashioned way.

most gardens here are pretty good, just a few
wilder areas and some places i've redone need to
be kept up with.

i have to get some strawberries picked. not
too many left, but enough.

We're harvesting sweet peppers, three types, peas, tomatoes, etc. daily
now. Dear wife took some to the church kitchen for the poor this morning
and then she worked two hours in the church garden for the poor. I
wonder if I can take that off our income tax! G

i'm not sure. we never bother getting that complicated
around here. small donations and free foods are not worth
the paperwork IMO. after all Mama Nature provides...
have a great day.

George, hiding from the heap with the AC and the overhead fan both
working hard

we run the AC for a little while in the morning to
get some of the humidity out, then it won't run again
until later in the afternoon. i would not run it at
all as i find a small fan is good enough. AC can mess
up my sinuses (temperature and humidity changes). i
do much better without it.

songbird