Old 19-06-2016, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ermin Trude Ermin Trude is offline

Default ~41cm powered rotary petrol mower?

On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 17:52:11 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 04:17:57 -0500, Ermin Trude
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 22:38:04 +0100, T i m wrote:

Hi all,

We are on the lookout for a powered rotary mower with about a 41cm cut
and wondered if anyone had any particular recommendations and why

Hayter - c25 years old and still going strong. Used on large garden of
c0.3acre of grass for 10 years but house move to larger lawned area
means its now just used fortnightly to get the steeper areas and bank
sides.

Is this one powered / driven OOI please as looking at both this Qualcast
and a Hayter previously, the 'gear in wheel' looks prone to being
damaged if a small stone got in there (and how I came to be looking at
the Hayter).

Not driven - other than pushed by me

Easy to service.

Servicing isn't generally an issue, as long as the designers have done
their stuff. That said, I have seen some engine drain plugs in some less
that ideal places but I guess that's what you might get when you take a
stock engine and mount it on a platform?

To drain this one it needs to be tilted over but its easy enough to
manage.

May I ask what model your Hayter is please (I know you probably can't
still get it today).

Hayter Hunter 41; with 4 wheels rather than a rear roller. I don't think
they make them now, I think the replacement is the Harrier.

One thing about Hayter (I think its a general thing across the range) is
that there is a friction disk connecting blades to drive so if you hit an
unexpected obstacle the blades will stop but the disc allows the drive to
remain unharmed.

Don't know if any other manufacturers have this.

It has a B&S engine if that makes any difference to your decision making.