Old 19-06-2016, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning a Magnolia

On 18/06/2016 18:57, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

I have the evergreen grandiflora and quite regularly take a pruning saw
to it, these you can treat as a hedge, not sure about the deciduous
sorts but I can see why it would be different

Do you grow grandiflora against a wall, or could I get away with it
in a sunny sheltered spot?

Janet (Arran)

It will grow anywhere, but out in the open flowering maybe too late to
have happened before winter spoils the show, mine is usually still
trying to flower in January. Although it was planted against a wall the
wall is only 4' high and the tree is now 20+ (despite my best efforts
with said saw!)

I hadn't really thought it through, it starts flowering in early August
here and it flowers well, but we get to see few of them because they are
high up and its quite dense and leafy, if you have a spot where you
could look down on one that would be ideal

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk