Old 19-06-2016, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
T i m T i m is offline

Default ~41cm powered rotary petrol mower?

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 05:23:44 -0500, Ermin Trude
wrote:

snip

Is this one powered / driven OOI please as looking at both this Qualcast
and a Hayter previously, the 'gear in wheel' looks prone to being
damaged if a small stone got in there (and how I came to be looking at
the Hayter).

Not driven - other than pushed by me

Ah, thanks, I thought it might be (after Googling about).

Easy to service.

Servicing isn't generally an issue, as long as the designers have done
their stuff. That said, I have seen some engine drain plugs in some less
that ideal places but I guess that's what you might get when you take a
stock engine and mount it on a platform?

To drain this one it needs to be tilted over but its easy enough to
manage.

Ok.

May I ask what model your Hayter is please (I know you probably can't
still get it today).

Hayter Hunter 41; with 4 wheels rather than a rear roller.

It seems there are still a few about second hand on places like eBay.
;-)

I don't think
they make them now, I think the replacement is the Harrier.

Ah, yes, I think that's what came up in quite a few places.

One thing about Hayter (I think its a general thing across the range) is
that there is a friction disk connecting blades to drive so if you hit an
unexpected obstacle the blades will stop but the disc allows the drive to
remain unharmed.

That does sound like a good thing as it's automatically resettable. On
this Qualcast we have there is an ally drive 'thing' that I believe
shears off before it can damage the crankshaft but replacements seem
to be over 20 quid. ;-(

Don't know if any other manufacturers have this.

Ok.

It has a B&S engine if that makes any difference to your decision making.

B&S or Honda would be prerequisites I think.

What are the panels thoughts re rear roller versus rear wheels please?
I can see how a roller might give a slight striping effect (probably
not heavy enough to do a proper job?) and could be good along narrow
paths (but you still have wheels on the front)?

Cheers, T i m