Old 21-06-2016, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Stink bugs

On 6/21/2016 11:01 AM, George Shirley wrote:
Stink bugs are messing up the tomatoes big time. Put out some containers
of water under each bush this morning, hoping the !@#$ bugs drown. Put a
little cooking oil in each container, also hoping that keeps the bugs
from getting away. We shall see.

Picked another small bucket of crowder peas this morning. Things seem to
become ripe overnight but they sure shuck easy, a sort of zipper pea is
what this variety is. Pop one end, pull down and the hull just opens up.
Makes the job much easier.

Harvested another batch of figs, seems that about a dozen figs ripen
each morning. Miz Anne put up two pints of fig jam yesterday and
probably will do another small batch tomorrow or the next day. I alter
the "So Easy to Preserve" recipe based on number of figs to be used.
Works pretty good as long as we follow the recipe change.

Going to be hot again today, in the low nineties the weather folk say,
the skies are cloudy with dark clouds and a promise of rain is in sight.

George

I think soapy water is better as it breaks their surface tension and
they drown. There are stink bug traps.
They were a plague here for several years but now seem abated.
Maybe bats or birds are now finding them tasty or a wasp predator has
moved in.