Old 22-06-2016, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Davej Davej is offline

Default Will a soaker hose attached to a 5 litre container have enough pressure?

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 9:25:03 PM UTC-5, Helen Pearson wrote:
I need to be able to water my strawberries from outside the cage. The
cage is quite large, containing 12, 2.5mx1.5m beds.

I thought I could rig up a system for each bed using a loop of soaker
hose attached to a 5 litre container which can be filled from the
outside path. Will there be enough pressure to 'soak'?

So you want to evenly apply 5 liters of water to each 2.5m x 1.5m bed.

I would think that a drip system would be your only hope. A soaker
hose is designed for normal household water pressure, so you would not
have enough pressure from a bucket to operate a ordinary soaker hose.

The problem with a drip system is that it is inefficient because a
large portion of the water will simply evaporate before reaching the
plant roots. A system that might work would be a hollow watering stake
buried next to each plant with each stake fed from a hose from the
bucket. This would allow gravity-fed water to more directly reach the
plant roots. This could be expanded to a perforated water pipe pattern
buried at slightly below root depth with filler pipes to the surface.