Old 23-06-2016, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.birds,alt.birdwatching.hummingbirds
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Protecting Hummingbird Chicks

On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 07:32:12 -0700, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On 6/22/2016 9:09 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...
Got 2 of the little nuggets poking their heads out of a next. I notice a wandering housecat under the tree today. I'm trying to watch and keep running it off as much as I can.

Question.... the nest is on a thin branch that won't hold the cat's weight and is out of it's reach. If they fly off, all is good. But I don't know anything about hummingbirds.... Anything I can do to keep the cat away in case the land on the ground? I thought about red pepper, but that might not be good for the birds.

Any advice appreciated. Will upload a photo of the birds in the nest to tinypic later tonight.

Well, the cat worrying is over. Last night they were in the next as usual. This morning mama and the 2 chicks were no were to be seen. No feathers in the yard so that's a good sign.

By the way, they were in a NEST, not a next. At first, I thought that
were merely a typo; but when you repeated it, I realized a correction
was needed.

Truly the blind leading the blind! LOL