Old 28-06-2016, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Garlic: when to replant?

T wrote:
Hi All,

I am about to pick my garlic.

1) when do I replant?

2) can I replant in the same place or do I have to
let the soil rest a season?

i replant again in the fall. usually in
a new location. crop rotations help keep
pests and diseases in check.

also when you rotate plants you should use
different families of plants each time so that
you are using a different nutrient profile
from the soil. this way you can stretch
fertility and nutrients through many plantings.

i have gardens here that i amend once every
two or three years and yet the soils keep
improving even with that low rate. i also bury
any organic leavings so that the worms get
extra goodies to work on.

the hard neck garlic i have here is all over
the place, there is no way i dig it all up each
year and then replant, so there are places where
it keeps growing "wild". that just means the
bulbs and cloves tend to be small. my more formal
garlic planting the bulbs and cloves are quite
large. i have only 26 this season (and a few
thousand extras if i really want to try digging
them all up).

songbird