Old 28-06-2016, 03:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Garlic: when to replant?

In article , T wrote:

Hi All,

I am about to pick my garlic.

1) when do I replant?

2) can I replant in the same place or do I have to
let the soil rest a season?

Many thanks,
-T

Depending on your weather (and the year, and how busy you might be...) a
few weeks before the ground (normally, unless you have a time machine)
freezes. In years where busy doesn't get me, late October or sometime in
November. Last year, Dec 26th with the big cold (but with snow, a good
thing in this case, it's insulation for the ground and delays freezing)
coming on the 27th (if it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would ever
get done - but I was out there planting by lamplight to get it done) -
mind you, an October planting would have gotten way out of hand last
year - we didn't get frost until about a month later than normal (the
end of October, not mid-late September.)

Scape timing (this year) seems to be about the same as other years.
Being planted that late I did not have tops up most of the winter, which
I often do with earlier plantings. They seem to take it fine (they laugh
at the cold), but I don't see a lot of variance in production either way.

Rotate. Garlic is beneficial to several families of crops following it
in rotation, and in general one is trying to minimize developing
diseases/pests peculiar to one plant family by not growing them in the
same spot each year.

I maintain about 100 heads, which means I get to use about 75 and the
smaller cloves from the biggest/best 25 that I set aside for seed,
planting only the larger cloves from them. I'm up to 9" grid spacing at
this point, having seen a definite improvement in size going from a 6"
grid to an 8" grid.