Old 30-06-2016, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default i forgot to say how the

On 6/29/2016 9:10 PM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
I don't remember what type of worms you use. Earthworms, red wigglers,
etc. I tried red wigglers and they all died within a week, even though I
did everything the book said to do. I'm about ready to start another batch.

a mix of about six species. earthworms and
composting worms.

Never thought I would have to buy worms, everywhere we've lived, except
Saudi Arabia, the common earthworm was there. We just put our compost
between the garden rows and it was gone in a day or less.

no worm likes it much when it is very hot or
very cold. that is why raised beds are not always
a good move (not as much insulation factor the
thinner the beds the worse).

you may need pretty deep mulch to keep composting
worms going in a raised bed.

songbird

We bought some earthworm pods a few years ago and put them in the raised
beds. We see one once in awhile but they are in the row beds along the
fence line that we have amended many times. Our compost bucket goes into
the composter and then we put the compost into the gardens. Don't see
many earthworms generally but every once in a while we get startled by
one plus get startled by the occasional snake up from the retention pond.

Taking a break from moving stuff around in the garage. Garage faces East
and the morning sun shines right into it. We're going to hang a steel
rack from the ceiling of the garage to make more room for her "stuff."
Big PITA but SWMBO wants it.