Old 30-06-2016, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen[_8_] Stephen[_8_] is offline

Default onions: first time growing, need advice

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 17:32:36 +0100, "BobHobden"
wrote:

You will always get some that flower, especially as I
say red ones, and some years it's worse than others. It happens. Fertilize
whilst they are growing, before they start to bulb up, so you get a good
thick neck which turns into a good sized onion. .

Thank you for the replies. As it was my first time growing, I bought a
few varieties to see which worked best in my garden. As you say, they
are all red. The only one that is not is radar, which I read was a
good variety to over winter.

It could be that the stems are bending under their own weight; some of
them are a decent size, only it was just the ones in one corner, which
and me think something had sat on them.

When I try again next year, is there a particular type of fertiliser I
should use?

Thanks,
Stephen.