Old 01-07-2016, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default i forgot to say how the

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

Making more fig jam tomorrow, getting just enough to make three or four
pints here and there.

Can be nice, actually, if you have a system worked out - apple
processing is often that way for us - not that they comes in dribs and
drabs so much, but they will hold on the tree (or even picked) a while,
if they are there in the first place. This year looks bad for that, I
don't think the blossoms even opened. I get into a rhythm where I
process so many, turn them into sauce or butter or dry them, turn around
and do it again.

The plums last year came in a great mass so that we were desperately
processing 40 lbs trying to stay ahead of them spoiling. That will have
to hold us though this year, at least, as the late freeze has done for
nearly all of them (on those, the flowers were out, but I see exactly 2
green fruit on 5 trees that made hundreds last year.) Bummer - the "I
had major doubts" plum "wine" came out sort of OK (green plums, sugar
and what was supposed to be some sort of rice liquor that I subbed with
diluted-to-the-correct-proof vodka. Should be "umeshu" plums, but source
claimed it worked OK with others.) Next time I have some I'll try with
ones a little riper, I think, but it's acceptable for low-effort cheap
homemade, after a year of sitting.