Old 01-07-2016, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Knotweed

On 30/06/2016 15:34, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Has anybody ever had a problem with Japanese knotweed?

Mine is in full flower now. People keep telling me I should get it
removed but it looks so good!

Steve

It's looking good is what brought it into this country. It's being a
dangerous, pernicious overgrown weed that has caused it to be banned
from being grown in this country.

Here in London, we see it coming up through concrete, asphalt and other
paving. It really can damage houses, drains and listed landscapes.
I've had it in my garden and I've seen how it grows. Thankfully, I
managed to get rid of mine after about 3 yrs concentrated effort.
An empty building plot near us was completely infested with it.
Developer after developer tried to remove it. Eventually, one of them
built a house on that site. The knotweed is growing through the
pavement and hardstanding all around it. The house will be next.

I think you are being seriously reckless with your own property and that
of your neighbours if you think you can ignore it. There is a very good
reason why your house couldn't be sold at market price. You are sitting
on a deciduous time bomb - just because you can't see it over the winter
doesn't mean it's not growing (yes, even through winter!) underground.
Please take the warnings you've received seriously or your home and that
of immediate locals will be valueless.

Sorry to rant at you, Stephen, but you really must get rid of that
knotweed before you regret it.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London