Old 02-07-2016, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default laying turf on a stony slope

On 7/1/2016 1:33 PM, Jane 22 wrote:
Hi

I'm new to this forum and need some help please!
We have recently rotivated an overgrown slope at the end of our garden
and want to lay turf with the idea that it will keep the weeds at bay.
However, it has lots of stones and chalk. We are raking off the surface
stones but when we dig over there are lots more stones and chalk below
the surface. Will it be alright to lay turf on such stony ground? We
won't be walking on it as its a fairly steep slope.

Thanks everyone!

If you want grass, you will want an ornamental grass that does not
require mowing. Mowing will be a severe problem on a slope. You might
try red fescue (Festuca rubra). This grows about 1-2 feet tall and
flops over, creating a turf about 6 inches thick.

However, a slope might be subject to erosion. Grasses generally do not
root deeply enough to hold a steep slope in place. I would suggest
English ivy (Hedera helix). If the area is not very large, the dwarf
variety (H. helix 'Hahn's') can be used; it is far less invasive than
the regular variety.

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/.

Is it true that Donald Trump refuses to reveal his
income tax returns because he uses so many questionable
loopholes that he pays no taxes? See
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/15/new-evidence-donald-trump-didn-t-pay-taxes.html.