Old 03-07-2016, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Deer and gardens

On 7/3/2016 7:30 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Are not a good mix . Went out last night to water , found the tops of many
of the field peas nibbled off . I bought an electric fence setup , but
haven't taken time to install it . Gotta get on that before they eat it all
. I thought it was rabbits , but they don't crop the tops . I was hoping
they'd hold off until I pick the blackberries , they're kinda crowding the
tomato cages . Oh well , looks like I'll be losing some of those in the
interest of saving more important stuff . Not like the whole countryside
isn't covered with blackberry bushes , but these I've kinda kept cut back so
I can get at the fruit .
I'm also having a problem with probably armadillos , not sure how to
handle that short of a night or two without sleep ... I know they're digging
for worms and grubs , but they could find a better place to do so . Found
they've dug up a couple more pepper plants , a habanero and one other that I
don't know the type , I just call them hot red cones . I'm not sure if
they'll respond to the 'lectric fence or not . Gotta get the weedwacker
fixed first and cut down the vegetation where the fence will be . Tomorrow ,
today is "get the washer and dryer moved" day .

The best way I ever found was a .22 rifle or pistol and a headlight. No
amount of ammonia or other stinky stuff gets them away. Maybe a low
electric wire stretched about five to six inches above ground would
work. Here's a URL that gives dillo advice:
http://www.wildlife-removal.com/arma...ardgarden.html

If you kill them pick them up with sturdy gloves and bury them deep,
some do carry diseases. In SE Texas, when I was a boy, we referred to
armadillos as "possums on the half shell." Once we found they carried
leprosy we just shot them and buried them.

If you put up a regular fence you would have to bury the bottom about
six to twelve inches in the soil to keep them out. I've actually seen
armadillos run through an electric fence jumping and carrying on but
they still were in the garden. Good luck.

George