Old 04-07-2016, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Deer and gardens

On 7/4/2016 11:09 AM, Frank wrote:
On 7/4/2016 9:37 AM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
I've had them on my deck, turned the light on, opened the slider and
yelled and they refused to leave.

Once sprayed them in the face with wasp spray jet to get rid of them.

This year, if wife is asleep, they are going to meet Mr. Pellet Gun.

deer, raccoon or skunk?

they hunt deer around here so it is rare they
come close the house here, but i have had some
winters when they've bedded down overnight about
20ft from where i'm typing.

my pellet gun will sound like a 22 if i use
the alloy ammo. every time i change ammo i have
to resight the scope. i'm looking forwards to
finding ammo that i can stick with all the time
as sighting it in takes time and pellets. it
will probably be next year before i run out of
the current batch and switch to the expensive
pellets i bought. then i have to use all that
up before i try something else...

it was nice before when i could get a one
inch group at 33yards (my previous air rifle).
this new gun isn't that accurate yet (still
breaking it in), but i also need to find the alloy
ammo that works the best. some rainy day i'll
have to look on-line at more reviews...

be careful and don't shoot your eye out!

songbird

My Gamo airgun has a suppressor but the crack of breaking the sound
barrier is suppressed but not silenced. These are for the alloy pellets
which break the sound barrier but the old lead ones don't and you don't
here the crack. Pellet energy for the lead ones are probably as much as
the alloy ones, only a few ft/lb compared to over 100 for a .22. Lead
easily penetrates an empty beer can so should do a job on a raccoon shot
in the head.

Mine has a huge scope but I would not trust accuracy much beyond 25
yards. I did pop half a dozen deer with it going after my chestnuts
last year but avoided head or vitals shots. Wife does not like me
shooting at animals in the yard but sleeps late and never heard me
shooting them.

When my wife was pregnant with our first child she spotted a copperhead
snake coming out from under the front porch. Neighbor behind us and wife
were visiting at that time. The neighbor was a WWI veteran and my wife
handed him her .380 pistol to shoot the snake. He missed twice and she
reach over and got the pistol back and shot the snake through the head.
He was somewhat embarrassed but told me the story when I came in from
work. I never worried about leaving her alone after that. That first
child was born in December 1961, she's all growed up and a grandmother
three times, with six great grands. Wow!

I haven't tried the alloy pellets as yet as I have about a lb of lead
pellets to use up. Bought the air rifle from our Russian next door
neighbor when they were going back to St. Petersburg. 25 bucks seemed a
good price and he was happy.

George