Old 04-07-2016, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Deer and gardens

On 7/4/2016 12:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Frank" "frank wrote:
On 7/4/2016 9:37 AM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
I've had them on my deck, turned the light on, opened the slider and
yelled and they refused to leave.

Once sprayed them in the face with wasp spray jet to get rid of
them. This year, if wife is asleep, they are going to meet Mr. Pellet
Gun.

deer, raccoon or skunk?

they hunt deer around here so it is rare they
come close the house here, but i have had some
winters when they've bedded down overnight about
20ft from where i'm typing.

my pellet gun will sound like a 22 if i use
the alloy ammo. every time i change ammo i have
to resight the scope. i'm looking forwards to
finding ammo that i can stick with all the time
as sighting it in takes time and pellets. it
will probably be next year before i run out of
the current batch and switch to the expensive
pellets i bought. then i have to use all that
up before i try something else...

it was nice before when i could get a one
inch group at 33yards (my previous air rifle).
this new gun isn't that accurate yet (still
breaking it in), but i also need to find the alloy
ammo that works the best. some rainy day i'll
have to look on-line at more reviews...

be careful and don't shoot your eye out!

songbird

My Gamo airgun has a suppressor but the crack of breaking the sound
barrier is suppressed but not silenced. These are for the alloy
pellets which break the sound barrier but the old lead ones don't and
you don't here the crack. Pellet energy for the lead ones are
probably as much as the alloy ones, only a few ft/lb compared to over
100 for a .22. Lead easily penetrates an empty beer can so should do
a job on a raccoon shot in the head.

Mine has a huge scope but I would not trust accuracy much beyond 25
yards. I did pop half a dozen deer with it going after my chestnuts
last year but avoided head or vitals shots. Wife does not like me
shooting at animals in the yard but sleeps late and never heard me
shooting them.

My wife asked me to stop shooting the squirrels that have been bothering
the bird seed feeders ... I have allowed that as long as they stay on the
ground they're safe , but if I see one on the feeder itself it's a goner .
Rabbits and other critters in the garden however are fair game and I don't
care how much she oblects . I work too hard getting that stuff to grow to
feed it to the critters .
Set the live trap last night , untripped but there's another hole and a
volunteer 'mater dug up . I figger it must be an armadillo , 'coon or
'possum would have gone for the meat scraps and baked tater skins I used for
bait ... and it's raining today , won't be setting up that 'lectric fence
until a dry day .

Try peanut butter as bait. I find it will catch practically everything.
Also like to smear it around below the trigger as sometimes it is not
tripped.

My wife thinks the squirrels are cute. Even has a picture on the
kitchen wall of one she took in old bird feeder. I quit putting out
feeder and will surreptitiously remove a squirrel now and then. Tough
little buggers.

Different regions have different rules. Here you are allowed to trap
live and kill them but not allowed to relocate them. Maybe cops don't
know because before I knew this I released a squirrel right in front of
a cop in a county substation. I had opened the trunk in front of him
and told him I was there to release a prisoner, pulled out the trap and
let the squirrel go. Cop said nothing.

I tried to spray paint the tails of a few squirrels while in the trap so
I might identify them in the park where I release them but it takes damn
near a can full of paint with no result other than to sicken the squirrel.