Old 04-07-2016, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Deer and gardens

George Shirley wrote:
What brand and caliber Songbird? There's two calibers IIRC, .177 and
.22.

Benjamin Prowler Nitro Piston .177, the scope is a
Nikko Stirling 4x32 AO IR MD, Mountmaster Side IR.
there is also the .20 caliber - that is what i had
before, multipump Benjamin gun of some kind, i gave
it away not too long ago - i could bring down
rabbits with it. took too long between shots to
pump it up. the new gun is single pump breaking
barrel type.

Mine is a Gamo Air Recon .177 with an air rifle suppressor built
in. Being that is spring operated it isn't that quiet but it gets the
job done within 20 feet maximum for my old eye's. The graduated iron
sights are fairly easy to dial in. I shoot from the back porch to the
back fence, about 18 to 20 feet.

most of the shots i need are 50 - 120 ft. i sight
it in for 100ft (starting closer and then moving the
target further away).

it sounds like metallic clunk when i shoot the
lead ammo. not very loud at all, it has gotten quieter
as the gun breaks in.

I had an offer the other day to go back to gunsmithing but turned it
down. I closed my shop in 1982 and haven't looked back. There's two
things most Texan males seem to thing they know all about, guns and
women, and, in my opinion, they don't seem to understand either. G

i don't really like guns, but the warden here has
shoot to kill orders for various varmints and i'm
her hired gun. luckily these days we are able to
live trap the bigger ones (raccoons and groundhogs)
and the rabbits run away enough and the other traps
are working ok for the chipmunks (buckets) that i
only really have to go after the once in a while
grackle (now that nesting season is over). our
bird population is very diverse here, i like to keep
it that ways. 50 grackles can make a mess...

songbird