Old 05-07-2016, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BobHobden BobHobden is offline

Default Tiny little bees?

"Chris Hogg" wrote

Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

"BobHobden"
wrote:

When the sun is shining there are lots of tiny little bees that look like
miniature honey bees buzzing around in our front garden (S facing) I've
never seen such small bees before. Three weeks ago when weeding there I
got
stung 4 times on the knuckle, all swelled up over the next few days and
it
still isn't right and still hurts, coincidence? What are these tiny
little
bees? I would get a picture but they never stop wizzing about.

.

Dufourea minuta perhaps.

But rare http://tinyurl.com/ha2sthc

Very interesting, Chobham Common is only a few miles away indeed I drive
across it quite often (like today) and Byfleet is also quite near and I
visit there regularly too as friends live there.
I'll try to get a picture if only they would settle for more than a second.
If there is a nest, from the flying around, it must be under a rose bush and
that is where I was weeding. Garden is cottage garden type (controlled
overgrown) so not able to see what did the damage but certainly there were
four bite/sting marks as the swelling went down. Can't imagine what they
are feeding on although I have seen them go into flowers of Geranium (real
ones ,not Pelargoniums) and Alstromeria but they are in and out in a flash.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.