Old 06-07-2016, 01:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Deer and gardens

George Shirley wrote:
Most of the critters you've mentioned are considered food in most of the
US. We used to go to Maryland every other year, where Miz Anne's folks
lived most of their lives. Her Dad would break out the eighteen nineties
single shot .25 rifle and have me snipe the ground hogs off the
property. That's when I found out they were right tasty critters. Some
went to the neighbors but at least one got roasted right away. Never did
find any use for the hides.

if i knew someone who would kill and eat them
they could have them. all they wanted. we seem
to have a near infinite supply. saw three large
groundhogs yesterday. several raccoons at night.

I hunted squirrels a lot when I was a youngster. We ate the meat and I
sold the cleaned out tails to a guy who made fishing flies. Got 25 cents
for each and, back then, was pretty good money for a half cent .22
round. Mostly I shot shorts for squirrels back then. Even Sears sold
guns and ammo then. I don't hunt anymore, mostly because I can't walk
very far with bad legs and back. May go deer hunting with grandson this
fall, I have had a lifetime hunting and fishing license since the early
eighties, they're very expensive now but were fairly cheap back then. He
generally brings us lots of dressed out and prepared venison, just had
venison and pork sausage with our dinner.

i like venison sausage, but don't eat it that
often. never had squirrel.

if i'm ever starving i'll learn how to kill and
clean the various critters around here. until then
they get live trapped and released or buried for
worm food.

songbird