Old 06-07-2016, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Moe DeLoughan Moe DeLoughan is offline

Default laying turf on a stony slope

On 7/1/2016 3:33 PM, Jane 22 wrote:
Hi

I'm new to this forum and need some help please!
We have recently rotivated an overgrown slope at the end of our garden
and want to lay turf with the idea that it will keep the weeds at bay.
However, it has lots of stones and chalk. We are raking off the surface
stones but when we dig over there are lots more stones and chalk below
the surface. Will it be alright to lay turf on such stony ground? We
won't be walking on it as its a fairly steep slope.

I live in a very hilly neighborhood. Take it from me, you don't want
to plant something on a steep or tall bank that will require regular
maintenance. Grass is not a good choice, since it requires regular
mowing, and on steep slopes that it tiring and often hazardous.

I've just completed a two-year project of planting my back slope with
low-growing shrubbery. I'm currently using a string trimmer on the
grass between the shrubs; my hope is that by next year the shrubs will
have filled out and suckered to the point where there will no longer
be grass between them.

My advice to you would be to consult with an expert in your area to
obtain recommendations as to ground covers or shrubs suitable for
planting on embankments.