Old 07-07-2016, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default They're back!

Hi All,

When I went to water the children yesterday, I noticed some
strange movement on one of my zukes. On investigation,
it was about 10 huge , 1" squash bugs. This would be the
overwinter phase that goes out and lays eggs in the spring.
And they were socializing (wink, wink).

So I decided to feed then their dinner. Their first course
was a bath of pyrethrin. Then, ten minutes later, soapy water
and cayenne pepper. When I was done, the plant looked like
I had covered it with cool whip. :-)

At least they are slow, pick on a single plant to socialize on,
and are easy to locate at that size.

The way I have my plants spaced out this year, I have 360
degree access to all sides, so they are easy to spray.

And, I found no eggs under the leaves (yet). Apparently,
they did not have enough time socializing before the diarrhea
kicked in.

This means WAR!

Death to earwigs! Death to squash bugs!

-T

Of the ~50 radish plants I had sprouting up, I now have
zero. Lesson leaned. Sprout my plants to earwig defendable
size before the earwigs hatch in the summer.