Old 08-07-2016, 02:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default And fencing ...

On 7/8/2016 7:38 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
We'll see if the Hooved Rats of the Forest still get in and eat my field
peas ... got one strand about 2 feet off the ground and one about 6" to try
to keep the rabbits out . But the worst culprits are apparently the 'possums
right now . They dig stuff up ... at least the deer leave the plant in the
ground so it has a chance to grow back .

Cross bow or just a regular bow with good arrows can take care of those
critters, quietly. Then they go into the freezer. Among gardeners it's
called "getting even." G

How's the weather Terry? We're looking at another heat index around 109F
just after noon. We get out early morning, get what can be done done,
then hide in the air conditioning. We are no longer tough pioneers. I'm
glad we added more insulation to the attic when we moved here plus the
new roof with very good attic venting helps. I'm to old for this heat,
it's worse than Saudi because we have a lot more moisture in the air.
That and I'm 30 years older than I was then. I just hope we get an air
conditioned room when we go to the old folks home. G

Picked those crowder peas, a bunch of mild chilies for relleno's, and
damned few tomatoes. Cukes are starting to die back, squash have given
up to the heat and the figs are about out. Pears and kumquats are
growing well, if we don't get a high wind we might harvest pears this fall.

George