Old 09-07-2016, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ermin Trude Ermin Trude is offline

Default Knotweed

On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 11:34:45 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 03:03:21 -0500, Ermin Trude
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 08:07:37 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 22:30:48 +0100, Big Les Wade
wrote:

Spider posted

Sorry to rant at you, Stephen, but you really must get rid of that
knotweed before you regret it.

Doesn't glyphosate do it?

ISTR that the best way to treat it is, as you say, with glyphosate,
but specifically towards the end of the summer or early autumn, cut it
off at about 3 ft, and pour a half-strength glyphosate solution into
the hollow stems. The glyphosate is then slowly absorbed and taken
down into the root as the plant dies back in the autumn, never to
emerge in the spring.

It will take a couple of years of treatment to fully eradicate though so
don't expect to get it all in one go.

I daily drove past a 'colony' and watched as it was treated for, aprox,
3 years before it was completely eliminated. Its tough stuff!

Better buy enough glyphosate to last three years. It might not be
available in 18 months time.

I have enough stocked to see me out! But I don't have any JK around me.