Old 12-07-2016, 01:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default lawnmower: 41cm or 46cm

On 11/07/2016 22:36, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Well my repairs to my lawnmower have not been particularly
long-lasting, so I am back looking for a new mower. I see that petrol
mowers come in 41cm or 46cm width of cut. That doesn't seem much of a
difference: is it?

About 5cm ;-)

(you knew someone was going to say that!)

Which width is best to go for?

41 is a good general purpose mower and will cope with most situations,
but its a bit small for larger lawns.

The reviews about self-propelled mowers seem contradictory. I think a
variable speed one would add more to the cost. Some reviewers say the
single speed ones are too fast; others say they are fine. What is the
reality in your experience?

I don't know, since my old Hayter 16" is a push mower and its the only
one I have used extensively. Personally I have never missed self drive
on it, since its very light and easy to push. However I can see it would
be more desirable on a larger mower.

--
Cheers,

John.