Old 12-07-2016, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Seeds And Strains And Some Problems

gardenaway wrote:

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum seeking some info on a couple of
problems i have en counted in my garden. I have some beautiful
traditional Lilly's in my garden and they keep being eaten or maybe just
rotting away i'm not sure it's not like i catch the little buggers in
the act. Does anyone know what type of bugs you get in standard English
gardens and what i can do to avoid them? Also it could be the strain
that i have? does anybody have a good English garden seeds for sale
site? I say sites because i am busy working and would like to spend my
free time in the garden not the garden center haha. And then the
question you all get.... WEEDS driving me crazy coming through my gravel
and grass everywhere kinda out of control.

most the time in grasses if there are a lot of
weeds germinating that means you are trimming it
too low. i don't care much if there are weeds in
the grass here, we have a lot of variety. mint
in some areas, yarrow, clovers, trefoil, the bunnies
will sometimes come through and eat the stuff out
that they like and we mow it regularly with a
mulching mower.

in gardens you can mulch around your plants
using layers of cardboard and then cover it with
wood chips. by the time the cardboard disintegrates
the weeds below it are smothered and won't regrow.
if they do, just repeat until they give up.

don't disturb the soil as much as possible as
that moves weed seeds around (from where they
won't germinate to where they will).

some of the lillies i grow here are often eaten
by animals (deer, rabbits, voles, etc.). i have
most of the ones i really care about in the fenced
gardens which keeps most of the trouble makers out.
the rest stumble along and seem to survive.

are they getting enough light?

songbird