Old 14-07-2016, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
cowabunga dude cowabunga dude is offline

Default Biggest hognose snake I've ever seen

I'd been sitting in the truck listening to radio, with my feet dangling out. When I stepped outside there was a two foot long, fat, hognose snake. Previously I'd only seen small ones and didn't know they would get this big.

It must have went right past my feet. At first I didn't know what kind of snake it was. They can make a sound like a rattlesnake and it did.

They sure have a funny shaped head, sort of flat on the bottom. I put it across the road where some gophers and ground squirrels live. It seemed happy enough.

It would be interesting to know if this was the tiny hognose I saved from a cat years ago, and put down by the marsh. It seemed happy then, when I released it. There are lots of mice at the marsh. Plenty to make a snake fat like this one.

We've got all kinds of snakes around here, but hadn't seen any for a few years. I've seen coral snakes, rattle snakes, bull snakes, corn snakes, hognose, king snakes. This area is getting so developed wildlife is hard to find.

When a neighbor bulldozed mesquites on his land next to mine, lots of box turtle's passed through looking for a new home. Ones been digging holes under elm trees.

There are still lots of quail, dove, and owls, hawks, but some other species are hard to find.

I miss the old days when my house was the only one out here.

But at least coyotes don't come around like they did, before it got populated out here.